October 28, 2008

Darius Rucker Sings Right To Me

Weird, But Sadly True: A few weeks ago, I heard Darius Rucker's new country song, "Don't Think I Don't Think About It". For those of you that don't know, Rucker is the frontman for the 90's roots rock band Hootie and The Blowfish. He's suddenly gone country, and his new album, Learn To Live, is pure country shtick but I like it. A lot. Very catchy tunes, good lyrics...things that Hootie was always pretty good at.
 
Anyway, I was on my way to work the other day. To get to the hotel, I have to pass by Sears, my old place of employment...the place that I still think about every once in a while. Rucker's tune (now a #1 on the charts) was playing on my car radio and the song for some odd reason, struck me as almost exactly how I feel about Sears.
 
I know, weird, but sadly, its true. I kinda miss the old place, but I'm very happy where I am now. As Rucker sings on the title track to his song, you gotta live and learn, so you can learn to live.
 
Anyway, here's the lyrics to "Don't Think I Don't Think About It"
 
I left out in a cloud of taillights and dust
Swore I wasn't coming back, said I'd had enough
Saw you in the rearview standing, fading from my life
But I wasn't turning 'round, no not this time
 
But don't think I don't think I don't think about it
Don't think I don't have regrets
Don't think it don't get to me
Between the work, and the hurt, and the whiskey
Don't think I don't wonder 'bout
Coulda been, shoulda been all worked out
Yeah I know what I felt
I know what I said
But don't think I don't think about it
 
We make choices, we gotta live with it
Heard you found a real good man and you married him
I wonder if sometimes I cross your mind
Where would we be today, if I never drove that car away?
 
But don't think I don't think I don't think about it
Don't think I don't have regrets
Don't think you don't get to me
Between the work, and the hurt, and the whiskey
Don't think I don't wonder 'bout
Coulda been, shoulda been all worked out
I know what I felt
I know what I said
But don't think I don't think about it
 
Don't think I don't think about it
 
My buddy Mike sent me an email today telling me that they painted over my "time capsule" in the stock room...there was this really tall shelving unit that hadn't been used for years up against one of the recieiving bay doors. Before tearing it down, I stood on it I reached up as high as I could and wrote everyone's name that had been working there at the time. There was graffiti all over the place from back when the stock room shelves had been about twice as high as they were at that time...so I didn't think a little list of names would be so bad.
 
Sears is going through this "Shine and Clean" thing (rumor has it they are looking to get bought out again) and they painted over my little brick. Makes me sad.
 
 

No comments: