May 25, 2008

Gas, Wind, and Gunpowder

Inspiration On Ethanol: As most of you know, I've been recording songs for about five years now, and have been using the pseudonym The Backward Mirror. Most of the songs were introspective, about my family, and it got lots of great followers and fans. Thanks to everyone who has supported me so far.

I haven't recorded any new music in over a year now, and I think I've kinda had it with writing songs about myself for a bit. Nothing about myself really bothers me enough to be inspired for. So I have been thinking about doing somethign new musically. I've always loved the blues, but always felt my doing blues on record sounded stupid.

On my way to work yesterday, a new "name" hit me: "Edsel's Comeback". I think its a catchy name(Here's a little history of the Ford Edsel). At work it was really slow night at work and all of a sudden, I got the inspiration to write something about the project, whether it be website material or lyrics or some fake news article.

I ended up writing nine songs! I have never had inspiration hit me like this but I'm really excited about the new possibilities. There will be big blues-rock influences, of course...plus a couple folkie songs and a surf-style instrumental (called "Tar N Chip" haha). I read my lyrics to Amanda this morning and she was pretty impressed, so I defintely will be working hard to get this project on the move soon.

Early Afternoon Tumbleweeds: Amanda and I capitalized on the awesome day we're having here in Erie by getting up early and going for a bike ride (with a stop at McDonalds and Wal-Mart, of course) down at the Peninsula. Just a little crisp wind was all that stood in our way. Stopped at Perry Monument and rode to The Channel by the Coast Guard Station. Hung around there for a little bit and were lucky enough to see the Brig Niagara float by! I've only seen the thing actually sailing once, back when it was first re-christened in 1990. Very exciting...Amanda got a few pics. We then realized that we were seriously running out of time so we turned around and headed for home. When we pulled up to the house, we noticed that I had left the front door open to the house!! What a numbskull!!! Luckily everything was accounted for. I came busting in the door and and the cats looked up at me with that what in the world is your problem?! look. I'm a dumbass!

Happy Memorial Day: I'd like to wish everyone an extra special Memorial Day. In this age of over-advertisement and crazy politics, remember that there are certain men and women who have fought hard to keep the principles we argue over on a daily basis intact. So a big thank you to them. The world is a changed place; back in my grandfathers day people were lining up to enlist for the services, and now people have trouble even saying thank you to former soldiers. Sad, sad things.

But honestly, Memorial Day sales should be left to an extra special discount for veterans and their immediate families. I don't think that someone who doesn't appreciate what a soldier has done for us should get hot dogs buy one get one free...but thats just me. After all, what would a Happy Memorial Day from me be without a controversial statement regarding our country! Enjoy your day off folks. I'll be working!!

THOUGHT OF THE DAY: "The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly. 'Tis dearness only that gives everything its value." Thomas Paine

The Next Three Songs On My Mp3 Player: "We're Not Gonna Take It" by Twisted Sister, "Letterbomb" by Green Day, and "Mama You've Got A Daughter" by John Lee Hooker

No comments: