July 19, 2008

Volume 2, Issue 12

And So It Begins: I'm sorry I've been so lax on writing blogs lately; as you've noticed, I don't like to write sometimes. I've been spending alot of time just enjoying the outside, playing alot of guitar, writing and recording music, and, well, working morning shifts at the hotel.

The Ravine Flyer!!: 15 years ago, Waldameer starting chatting about replacing the old Peninsula Drive traversing wooden coaster from back in its early years (1920's/1930's) with a new updated coaster. Environmentalists and politicians blocked its progress for years, but owner Don Nelson pushed and pushed and never gave up on it...and now its finally here!!

Earlier in the week, Amanda and I finally had the chance go to Waldameer and experience the Ravine Flyer II, the biggest wooden coaster being built in the United States this year. And let me tell you, it is a rush. No joke, when I finally got off of it, I looked around and said to myself, is this real? Am I actually at Waldameer?! Two trips later, I was convinced this is one of the coolest coasters I've been on as well as one of the fastest. The thing rips through the air. Unreal how fast it goes!

The twenty dollar Ride pass was definitely worth it. Then of course, Amanda and I both almost got sick riding the Spider. Yeah, I don't want to talk about that.

The Songs Are Coming, The Songs Are Coming!: I've been recording and writing new songs all the time for a new CD full of some good material and a few covers. I know I keep writing about this, but its really already on the fire, just needs some new vocals laid down and a couple other surprises. Amanda will be singing on it too, once we get around to getting her silly self in 'studio' mode. :) I wrote a new song I'm very excited about, called "Put Your Hands On Me" that is very John Mayer/Stevie Ray Vaughan style, probably the closest to a gosh honest blues-rock song that I've ever done. Very proud of it.

Hotel Blues: It turns out that we will not be finding out the fate of our employments here at the ol' hotel until the very first day of the new ownership, which is a real bummer, but thats how it works, I suppose. Finally had that long talk with the boss about the second job, to which she was totally supportive of if thats what I felt I need to do to get by.

Then I find out that back at Sears, an old compatriot of mine, Kevin Pollock, got promoted to the Assistant General Manager, Home Improvement Division. I was told through an email I recieved a few hours ago....I'm trying not to be bitter about it, because Kevin is a decent guy and all, most likely deserves it, its just hard for me to swallow knowing that I knew that job inside and out and was passed over for a guy from Giant Eagle. Still hard to get over that.

Not that the hotel isn't doing its wonders on me, we have good days and not so good days, but I'm learning a lot of things, especially one big thing, patience. Each day my patience gets thicker and thicker, little by little. I know good things are on the horizon for me career wise, I just need to be more patient. I was always grabbing at Sears, always punching underwater, never getting as much as i "felt" that I deserved. I looked back and knew that I deserved that promotion; I may have not been totally ready for it, but I knew I deserved it more than some produce guy (who ended up quitting before my two week notice was out last fall).

Anyway, I'm happy where I am; ten years out of high school, I've had many things I thought I was going to be - a tech ed teacher, a convenience store manager, a radio DJ, a journalist, a music critic, a retail manager, a studio guitarist, a traveling hotel manager....

Now, I don't know where I'm going. Who knows where I'll be next year. But I do know that life is good right now...I have a steady group of friends who, although I might not be the closest with them as I wish I was, I know would still be there for me and I would be there for them. My family seems to get bigger and closer each and every day, and I have the greatest woman of my life to share it all with.

I'm just staying where the light is...






photo of the day

"Yeah, your team might finally win a World Series for the first time in a hundred years, but MY team is gonna...hey, are you paying attention?"

No comments: