July 22, 2008

Volume 2, Issue 13

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time, but regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. Sydney Harris

Open Mic Night Soon: Last night I played my new song for Amanda, even though it wasn't REALLY completed, and she agreed with what I had been thinking, that it was missing something. So I'll continue working on it. I do, however, have plans to go check out an open mic night soon. Possibly the Docksider tomorrow night.

I'm thinking of possibly trading two guitars for a new acoustic/electric; if anyone knows anyone who's looking to buy a Fender Telecaster or Washburn ES335 copy, let me know. I'd like to get a low-end Martin acoustic; the Ibanez one I've had for a few years needs some fretwork I think.

Spinning Out Of Control: The Pirates have to go 36-27 over their next 63 games to finish AT .500... this means they have to basically win 3 out of every 5 games til the end of the season; they're 2-8 in their last ten games.

I know a few weeks ago I wrote up a post that said that I'd be abandoning my fanship at the end of the season if they don't spring a 50/50 season. The more I started to think about it, the Pirates are sort of like our economy has been...not the best, actually kind of crappy. We're gonna have to give the next president at least a years time to fix it. So I might be 'flip-flopping' with my decision to go onto the free agent list. We'll see.

Nine Years Later: Just got a phone call from dad: "Well, its the end of an era." The cat that he's been taking care of for me for nine years (story will follow) ran off tonight while he was sitting outside on the phone. It is a big, fat calico cat that has threatened to run away the last few summers, and apparently it has finally made the break.

Nine and a half years ago, approximately, I was up at the mall with a girl I was dating and we stopped in the pet store. This little tiny kitten kept meowing at her and she begged me and begged me to buy the cat, so I did. She kept it at her place for a little while, but finally her parents made her get rid of it so I gave it to my dad to 'watch' for a few months until we got an apartment together. Well, obviously, things didn't work out and my dad ended up keeping the cat, who he finally named "Miss Kitty" a few years ago.

A couple summers ago, I was there for one of the cat's jailbreak moments. I was in the backyard and the cat took off across the mostly fenced in yard. She took off into the area of the property where we could corner her and force her to come after us or be caught. She ended up getting back to the front door, nearly, and dad reached his arm down to grab her from underneath a tree branch...the cat bit him across his wrists and he bled pretty good. I, of course, went into "screw that shit" mode and grabbed a shovel and tried to smash it...from what I remember, it was that that scared it back into the house.

So today, Dad was on the phone talking with a friend and kept watching the cat crawl out of the doorway and onto the paved driveway; a 'safe spot' that he let her go to. He turned his back for a few minutes and the cat was gone. He looked all over the place near his house and around the neighborhood and she's just gone.

I feel bad, and I could sense that Dad does too, even though he probably wouldn't admit to it. He's had her a long time, but he says he has no plans to replace her.

Lets hope she comes back!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do not approve of you attempting to smash a cat. Bad form.

Tony said...

Only thing I can say is that I have my reasons! Dad had a kidney transplant about 15 years ago and I'm always worried that one last slash to his wrist while he's fixing the car would do him in since he's on blood thinner medication...I thought the cat had given him a fatal scratch.

First instincts.