September 15, 2008

Wanted: Barber In Erie

Shave and A Haircut, Two Bits! Over the last couple of days, Amanda keeps saying, "Boy, you need a haircut." "Tony, you look fuzzy." "Hey Lori, doesn't Tony look like he needs a haircut?" I called up Cheryl a couple nights ago to ask if she could do it (like she has for the last four years) and she told me she's got school and work and a bunch of stuff; she can't do it til after six pm on Thursday. She gave me permission to go elsewhere and wouldn't be offended.

Today. Ten am. Phone rings. "Hey honey. Just wanted to get you up and rolling, so you don't waste the day away. You know, get your bills paid, get your hair cut. You said you didn't want to sleep all day. You also said you wanted to record."

Of course. Yeah. Haircut. How could I forget?

So I crawl out of bed, jump in the shower, get dressed, pick up my bills, and head on down the road. Went to the gas company first, paid the bill. Drove across town to Millcreek to go to my bank. Called Sears to find out if they had any openings.

"Sorry, we had someone call off this morning. I can get you in around 1:30 if you want to come by!" I declined. Too close to work time.

Drove up to West 26th Street and went to Best Cuts, the place Cheryl used to cut at. I walked in the door and this sixteen year old looking girl looks up from her customer and says, "Sorry, I can't take any more appointments right now, the computer crashed. Managers orders, I'm really --" Walked out of the door. Called a few places for a haircut, and they didn't answer the phone. Closed, probably.

Maybe a haircut wasn't in the cards today.

I did avoid two pretty nasty accidents today on my way to work as well -- one on 38th and Liberty (car in facing lane was turning left, and luckily I was paying attention or we'd both be short a hood, engine compartment and a front bumper, as well as some teeth and an airbag) and one near 54th and Peach (a vehicle in the right lane let a car out from a side street and the impatient perpendicular driver didn't see me coming in the left lane, and luckily I wasn't hungry for a T-bone). Not a great day so far.

Lunch with Theresa and Robert and Amanda was okay, though. Its also Robert's birthday (21). Unfortunately due to my schedule I was able to go to lunch with them and not to Kori's cake-and-ice-cream meeting tonight at Mom's house. DONT ANYONE SEND ME NASTY EMAILS. I'M NOT IN THE 'SWITCHING SCHEDULES' POSITION RIGHT NOW. TRYING TO GET PROMOTED, REMEMBER?!?!

*whew, sorry about that*

I've Done Something Wrong: Wrote a new song last night about my "guilty" personality, thinking I'm always the one doing something wrong or that I've always done something bad. Don't know where that comes from, but I make fun of myself in the song. Nothing that sounds like it'd be on the upcoming U2 album, rather something that sounds right out of the Bob and Tom Morning Show.
On that same note, I read the Rolling Stone interview with David Letterman that everyone keeps talking about. There were two questions in there that, if anything else, show that Letterman and I have one huge personality trait in common:

In the past you've described yourself as suffering from anhedonia, the inability to feel happiness. Where are you on the anhedonia index these days?
Well, I think it has always been a defense. If you mention often enough how disappointed you are in your own behavior and your own performance, then you've pretty much just pulled the rug out from under people who were just about to say, "Jeez, that was really disappointing, we're not pleased with his performance."
Isn't that just false modesty?
Jeez, no. I don't think it's a false modesty. It's just everybody has their own mechanism for getting through the day, and I guess it's easier for me to pretend to be a perfectionist. Or, maybe, I really was a perfectionist and there's no difference there.


Talk about the same personality, huh? I was really surprised to learn that. But then again, I think I have that same thing in common with Eric Clapton. He was once interviewed saying that he put off making an album with B.B. King because he didn't feel he was "accomplished" enough.
I always thought, "Is the guy serious?!"

The album was basically shit though. Oh well.

No comments: