August 04, 2008

12 Hours Away

Amanda and I were awoke at 5:40 this morning by her mom and her brother in our living room. After we came home last night we must have forgot to lock the downstairs door. Never happens! Whoops!

And thats the extent of the positive message here.

Teresa and Robert came by to inform us that Amandas nephew, Vince, was in a horrible accident near his home in Keokuk, Iowa. Unfortunately he passed away. He was only 17. At this time, thats all we know about what happened.

Basically, we both knew that we had to drop everything and go out there with Teresa and Robert, and I decided it was best that I took time off of work and came out to support 'my family'. I feel terrible that I'm leaving the hotel on the rocks, as Shawn is stuck running the hotel now down two managers and now a full time desk clerk for at least the next few days.

Ironically enough, we stopped at a rest station just before we got to Chicago, and we were stunned to see Lisa's Kia parked right next to us!!! How crazy is that?! Got to have a few moments with her before she headed up to Rockford, Illinois for her first day on Tuesday. Good luck again, by the way!

Then, outside of Chicago on the road, Teresa received a phone call that her mother passed away this afternoon right after one o clock. She'd been in a nursing home and had been suffering from cancer for the last few months.

What a day.

So here I am in the dining room of Amanda's brother's house in Hamilton, Illinois, right across the way from Keokuk. Its located right on the Mississippi River. Amanda took me on a little tour of Keokuk tonight as well; its where she moved from when she came to Edinboro in 1997. Hasn't been back in ten years. I can't imagine the emotions she's going through right now.

As for now, thats all I know about whats going on. I'll continue posting throughout the week as more details become available.

I appreciate any and all prayers for our family during this difficult time.

No comments: