August 11, 2008

Headaches

Witching Hour Is On Mountain Time: What a nice night at the hotel last night! Very smooth, easy guests, no problems, everyone was really polite and nice, even when I was juggling a couple phone calls at once. Even got ten minutes to sit down to eat dinner! Got to catch up with the laundry guy (he's had quite a week as well), was able to get pillows and blankets for guests with the slightest of ease.

Then, somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean, a bell tolled.

Ten o'clock, the phone started to ring. I picked up six phone calls within two minutes. And from then on, the phone rang at least every two minutes. I got a phone call from a guest who claimed housekeeping "stole food" from their refrigerator.

At the time, I had two people standing to check in and another lady on the phone who I had already transferred to reservations once and barked "I don't want to be transferred!" when I was going to again.

So I put her on hold and went back to the phone call; I offered compensation to the guest and of course she laughed and said "You aren't being very generous" so I gave her a little bit of an over the top form of compensation and she seemed okay with that.

I counted down my drawer during a five minute lull in phone calls, because I hadn't had someone come down to the guest store to buy anything for two hours. Of course, the second I finish up, three people come down to buy cotton swabs, pop, and deodorant. The revenue is good, mind you, I just couldn't believe my luck.

Ten minutes to eleven, I get another phone call from a guest claiming that the toilet is busted in their bathroom. In this particular suite there are two bedrooms, each with their own separate bathrooms. I went up to plunge it and it went down, just not really fast. I know from past experience (as well as the rest of you do) that once I get a slow flusher, I can't fix it. So I told the guest that and she looked at me like I'd insulted her first born child. I apologized and asked if the other bathroom was working properly, which dug me in even deeper. "You're saying I have to use the OTHER bathroom if I have to go in the middle of the night, and wake up my daughters?!" I swallowed my now growing flame (spurred by utter embarrassment for this woman) and said that I was really sorry, I'd have maintenance take a look at it in the morning. She gave me a little more tongue lashing that I (for some reason) stood there and took it, and I left the room.

I'm starting to dread ten PM. Ten is the new midnight.

Sing A New Song: Afterwards I met Amanda and the crew at the club for karaoke night. When I got there, there was noone singing. Another slow Sunday night, I guess. Amanda and I started things off by singing "Sunday Morning" by Maroon 5, which sounded like it does when we're driving in the car. Only really intended for our ears!

I've been wanting to do this for a while, since early last week, and I decided to go for it...the next song I did was "Angel" by Sarah McLachlan, and I dedicated it to Vincent and Amanda's grandmother. (The song was one of her grandma's favorites.) So here I am scared to death I'm gonna screw it up, because I know that I'm not the greatest high note singer, but I knew somehow I'd carry myself through it. And to my surprise, I did REALLY well. The deejay complimented me on how I can change my normal range to my falsetto without missing a beat. I walked offstage and Amanda was waiting there, tears in her eyes, thanking me for the dedication. It was tough to sing.

I picked up the mood a little bit by singing "Paying The Cost To Be The Boss" by BB King. A great old song that got me into the 'flailing my arms gospel style' sort of singing. Pretty cool. I got to sing with one of the bartenders, Megan, for the first time. She's another awesome talent that I've talked to about doing some sort of music project with, and we sang "Whiskey Lullabye" by Brad Paisley and Alison Krauss. I did my best; it always seems like the country duets have REALLY low male parts. Anyway, she was happy with it. I finished off the evening singing "Champagne Supernova" by Oasis (its not karaoke for me if I'm not singing one of theirs!), which I turned the last verse into an opera song somehow, don't really know why I did that.

For A Less Proud Moment: When I got to the club, I immediately had three beers. (Mom, stop being mad.) I usually only have two at most during the night, but I just was so angry from work that I decided I wanted to cut loose a little bit. (And yes, by the time I was leaving, I was fine to drive, so don't worry.)

Woke up this morning with a MONSTER headache. Went to the cupboard - no Advil. Argh. Amanda and her headaches probably has it in her purse. I sent her a text message, and sure enough, she had it. But she was nice enough (as if I ever questioned it) to come home from work to bring me the meds and to bring me some lunch (since I didn't get up til 11 am, hehe).

I ate a little bit and felt a tad better. It was getting close to 1 pm and I realized that I had no clean shirts to wear to work...so I rushed around laundering the stuff. Shaved as quick as possible, got myself ready, and headed to work. Got there a little before three........and found out that I was actually off of work tonight. Dummy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey blog writer, I guess I'll be your #1 blog reading fan now, perhaps even a groupie. haha...so I hope to hang out with you and Amanda soon, I'd love to sing Karaoke with you both! That song you sang for Vincent and Amanda's Grandma, wow Tony...that's so so so wonderful...I am so happy Amanda has you, she is one of my closest and dearest friends and she deserves someone wonderful like you!